Wednesday 20 May 2020

The North Remembers



"After Arvedui the North-kingdom ended, for the DĂșnedain were now few and all the peoples of Eriador diminished."
"The remnants of the Dunedain of the North become rangers and errants, living largely in hiding, but waging ceaseless war on all evil things that still are abroad in the land."
"Yet the line of the kings was continued by the Chieftains of the DĂșnedain, of whom Aranarth son of Arvedui was the first."


Last time I mentioned that Arnor was a faction that had caught my eye. Arnor has interested me since I played the To Kill a King scenario last year but model availability and cost limited my aspirations. However, while doing some background reading I rediscovered the quotations above and the seed of an idea emerged.

This idea was to theme an army around Aranarth and the remaining Arnorians after they had gone into exile following the Battle of Fornost, as the King's of the North warned us The North Remembers. My plan was to create more rangery style Warriors of Arnor to represent the soldiers of Arnor adapting from the standing army of King Arvedui into the secretive Rangers of the North. This would be done by converting Rangers and other suitably cloaked models to have spear and shield and additional armour while still maintaining the ranger feel.

With this idea firmly planted I decided that I would start building an Arnor Battle Company to test out the concept before moving forward with a full army. And here's an early work in progress photo.


The plan then is to move onto a 500 point army with:

Aranarth (counts as Arvedui)
Malbeth
2 Captains
20 Warriors
10 Rangers

This army will also hopefully give me an opportunity to do something I've wanted to do for a while and try out some snowy bases, after all Winter is Coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment