Monday 20 January 2020

IHL Interviews: Ivan Sheehan


(Rob) Today I'd to start a new series of posts where I interview prominent members of the Irish Hobbit League, and where better to start than with the current champion, Ivan Sheehan.

Firstly, would you like to introduce yourself. How did you get into wargaming in general and more specifically how did you start playing ME:SBG?

(Ivan) Yes of course. I'm Ivan Sheehan from Cork (best place). I think like most I got into wargaming in 40k when I was a small fella. From there I got big into competitive 40k and the things that work there seem to have translated well into Sbg which is fortunate. As for starting SBG my 1st encounter was with the battle games in middle earth magazines although that progressed into the main line books up until return of the king. I fell off the wagon then but it had not been my "serious" game at the time.

Once the new edition launched we picked it up in cork, 4 of us and we haven't looked back since. We were both surprised and delighted to find a scene existed that we could join as we had no clue it was a thing.

Over the course of 2019 you became known for taking armies that wouldn't perhaps at first glance be considered top tier (The Rangers and Uruk Hai Scouts) and using them to regularly win at the top tables. Can you briefly talk us through your army building methods? How do come up with the initial ideas and how are they developed into tournament winning armies?

Well to be honest it all starts with what I think I'll have fun playin, you definitely play better when you love the army than with flavour of the month builds. The Rangers, I really did fall in love with the playstyle very early on, though the journey to mastery was quite difficult. I think I played upwards of 30 games before my 1st event with that army, some armies really need your focus and attention but the rewards will come.

I always start with a theme (not like you Rob.) be it shooting or maneuver or just shenanigans, find the army that suits what I want to achieve and then try to make it as good as it can be over weeks of testing with plenty of revisions. I'm lucky in this sense to have a gaming partner in David Coleman who is not only good but can turn his hand to various things we need to test against. You can blame him for most of my armies. But yes it's mainly just the amount of play testing I dedicate to my armies that I attribute my success to. Knowing what it can do at vital moments in the games and more importantly what it can't do is so important.

On top of winning the League last year, you've also recently become a TO in the tail end of last year. What motivated you to organize your own tournament and how do you think your first taste of being TO went?

What motivated me? I suppose it was just as cork was new in the scene I needed to prove it existed lol. It was only a small event but it gave me a taste and it was an enjoyable experience.

You will also be hosting the 1st major tournament of the IHL year at the end of the month. Here's your chance for a free plug to try to drum up some support.

Ah yes warpcon! I'm looking forward to it as I'll get to be a full time TO and implement new Tournament point and good vs evil methods so I want to see how that works out.

It's on on the 25th and 26th of January in UCC so come along even if its just to look at our great game and meet the folks. We'd love to see more interest.

Looking ahead to 2020, what sort of things should we be expecting from you as you attempt to defend your title?

What should you expect? Well hopefully a strong title defense! In a more serious note I think my main armies this year will be Angmar and Halls of Thranduil so you will see that. The old Rangers are always hard to resist though and I'd like to take the Fellowship to an event and do well. As far as I'm concerned they are Lord of The Rings!

And finally, what advice would you give to a new player just starting out with ME:SBG?

My main advice to new players would be REACH OUT!. There're Sbg players all over the Island of Ireland (even Donegal) (and all around the world) and we always want more. So get out there find a group and start playing. We're a lovely bunch really so get stuck in and ask questions, we'd be delighted to answer as many as we can. 

If you want a good skirmish game with balanced rules and a love of Lord of The Rings then Sbg is for you.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and best of luck with Warpcon and the IHL title defence in 2020.

Thank you for the interview Rob and maybe I'll be talking to you again next year!. Best of luck with your blog it really has been a blast to see it grow.
Ivan Sheehan
2019 League Champion.

Thanks once again to Ivan and join us again soon for another IHL Interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment